How does Brand Zovirax work and what pharmaceutical group does it belong to?
Zovirax is an antiviral preparation is a synthetic analogue of a purine nucleoside, which inhibits the replication of Herpes simplex type 1 and 2 viruses, Varicella zoster virus, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus. The effect of the preparation on the viruses is highly selective. The preparation works by inhibiting the replication of viral DNA thus making the affected cell enable to produce virions. The bioavailability of the preparation when used orally reaches 10-20%.
Which conditions are treated with Acyclovir ?
The preparation is indicated in treatment of:
- Mucous membrane and skin viral infection, caused by Herpes simplex type 1 and 2, including primary and recurring genital herpes
- Prophylaxis of Herpes simplex recurrence in patients with normal and compromised immune system
- Treatment of Varicella zoster infections
- Prophylaxis of cytomegalovirus infection in organ transplantation
What should a patient know before using Brand Zovirax?
The Acyclovir should not be used in cases of:
- Hypersensitivity to any component of the preparation
The preparation should be used with caution in cases of:
- Renal failure
Which adverse effects may manifest when using the medication?
The side effects of Brand Zovirax include:
- Gastrointestinal tract: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased levels of bilirubin
- Haemopoietic system: anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia
- Urogenital system: increased levels of urea and creatinine in blood, acute liver failure
- CNS: headache, reversible neurological disorders, dizziness, confusion, hallucinations, somnolence, seizures, coma
- Allergic reactions
- Other: fatigability, diffusive hair falling
It is not necessary that the side effects will manifest in an individual but the possibility still exist. For more information please consult your health care provider.
Which groups of drugs or specific preparations may interact with Acyclovir?
The drug is affected by the following:
- H2-histamine receptor blockers
- Ca2+ channel blockers
Tell your doctor about all the herbal preparations as well as prescription drugs that you are currently taking even if they are not on the list.
Important information for the patient: Brand Zovirax is supplied for individual use. Do not use it to treat other conditions not listed in the leaflet. Keep the product out of children reach. Do not reuse any disposable materials if supplied with the preparation.